Friday, March 14, 2008

But...

I have to say that I am so thankful for this blog. It gives me a place of expression and even if no one reads it, it helps me sort through the thoughts that race about in my mind. I feel like I have so many things to say, but most importantly, I have a story to share. My current teaching situation is that I am filling in for a resource teacher who is out on an extended sick leave. I share my room with another Title teacher. Because it is Friday, my afternoon is empty and I was spending some time with Jesus reading my amazing book. I was so pumped about some of the insights the Lord was revealing to me that I could not wait to get on here and post about it. However, and older lady from church was subbing here today and stopped in to chitchat. I was frusterated and wished she would move on so I could finish reading. After we talked for a little while the other teacher returned and she started talking to him. Now I have noticed that this man was probably not a lover of Jesus no matter how often he used his name. I had intended to ask him about coming to the Easter play this weekend but as the lady was talking about practices it seemed perfect timing. I asked him to come and his immediate response was a resounding No. He said I don't do the church thing. In fact I am an aethist. It surprised me in some ways but he went on to say that he had been everywhere and he thought it was something people had made up because it was too depressing to think that this life was all there was. He said that the way people described heaven was like a bunch of people on LSD. I didn't say much other than I just wished he would come. He didn't seem like he wanted any discussion and I have learned that discussions are usually not the best way to go anyway. I will leave the tickets on his desk with a note telling him just in case he changes his mind.
Do I expect him to change his mind? Maybe. This is where I find the awesomeness of how practical Christ is. My devotions which I went back to were about faith, and how sometimes people who have so much in their backgrounds lose faith, but that at the first hint of faith Christ is willing to run to them. This is an excerpt from it....

"I am continually moved by Christ's willingness not just to meet us halfway, but, like the father of the prodigal to run the entire distance once we take the first step in his direction. The Word of God is filled with accounts of hopeless situations followed by that wonderful little word..."but"...
Dear one, Christ can't just do anything. Christ can do everything! Stop wondering if Christ can do anything in your situation and start believing Him to do everything glorious!"

In my lack of faith I could and already thought until the Lord convicted me, "He won't come this weekend. Don't bother." But this only shows my lack of faith! I don't believe that Jesus can do something for this man, I believe he can do everything!!!! Pray for him as well. I won't mention his name but the Lord is all too familiar with it I know!

No comments: